What Can You Expect at Your First Chiropractic Visit?
Your Chiropractor will need to see you for an initial consultation and examination before you can start chiropractic care. For the first chiropractic visit, you will be booked in for an hour, although the consultation and examination usually only takes about 40 minutes. This usually allows time to have your first chiropractic adjustments during this session, provided it is clinically indicated and you are happy to proceed. The first visit involves the following structure:
What Happens in the First Chiropractic Visit?
- A full medical history; this is where you describe the problem you are having and go over anything that has happened in your medical history with your chiropractor.
- Neurological and orthopaedic testing; your chiropractor will test the health of your nerves, muscles and joints by checking things like skin sensation, muscle strength and reflexes.
- Manipulation, lifestyle advice etc; after everything has been discussed, you can get your first chiropractic adjustments at the same visit, provided it is clinically indicated and there is enough time.
Other Points to Remember About Your First Chiropractic Visit
- Chiropractors are primary healthcare practitioners, so you will have your problem properly assessed and diagnosed. If we feel you may not benefit from chiropractic care, or that it is inappropriate you will be referred to the right specialist or back to your GP.
- All matters discussed remain confidential in accordance with strict patient/practitioner confidentiality laws.
- Be as honest and complete with your answers as possible, it will help your chiropractor assess you more effectively and get to the right diagnosis.
- Wearing comfortable, loose fitting clothing for your first chiropractic visit will allow all of the tests to be performed easily meaning there should be no need to undress.
- Relax! Your chiropractor is trying to help.
Still Unsure About a Visit to a Cambridge Chiropractor?
If you live near Cambridge and have pain or other symptoms, or if you want to improve the function of your body, chiropractic is a safe and very effective solution. If you are unsure whether chiropractic care is right for you, then you should consider booking either a first visit or a FREE spine check. During this time, the process of chiropractic care will be explained fully. There is no obligation to continue with the visits. To book, please call 01223 459240, book online or contact us.