Chiropractic Treatment for Neck Pain
What is Neck Pain?
Chiropractic treatment for neck pain is very common, so common that two thirds of the UK population will have experienced symptoms at some point in their lives. Although pain may only be present in the neck, symptoms may also develop into the head, arms or shoulders. Headaches are also very common with neck pain. There are many neck pain causes some may be caused by injury to the tissues of the neck, including the muscles, ligaments or tendons, the joints, or the bones themselves. Sometimes neck pain also manifests from problems lower down the spine as compensation, if this is the case you may need chiropractic treatment for neck pain.
Causes of Neck Pain
There are lots of causes of neck pain. Usually the location of the pain, what makes it better or worse and the duration that you have had it tells your chiropractor a lot about what might be causing it. Common neck pain causes seen by practitioners include:
- Direct injury from falls or blows. Often the initial advice will be PRICE (protection, rest, ice, compression and elevation), but your chiropractor will be able to manage your condition appropriately and suggest X-ray or other imaging as appropriate.
- Whiplash style injuries. These may range from small jerks of the head through to road traffic incidents. The severity of such an injury and the length of time between injury and the appointment will often dictate the level to which chiropractic, massage or laser therapy might be able to help.
- Posture. Known as ‘forward head carriage’. This is very common in office workers or heavy phone and tablet users.
- Overuse. Often people have habits which lead to leaning or turning the head more one way than the other.
- Underuse. Most people don’t move their necks through their full range of motion in daily life.
- Stress. Stress always adds extra tension and inflammation through the neck because of the body being in a ‘fight or flight’ mode. Chiropractic and massage therapy have both been shown to be useful in combating stress.
- Underlying health problems. Other problems can manifest as neck pain, although it is usually obvious to your chiropractor when this is the case. If your practitioner suspects that you have an underlying health problem causing your neck pain, you will be referred and managed with other health professionals in order to deal with this.
Chiropractic treatment for neck pain
There is a large amount of evidence to support the effectiveness of chiropractic treatment for neck pain, whether it is acute (pain for only a few weeks) or chronic (pain for longer periods). Sometimes, neck pain resolves on it’s own, but this is never a good reason to just leave your neck pain. Ultimately; our practitioners are not painkillers! They are there to guide you through a process of healing and rehabilitation. There is always an underlying cause to symptoms, which should be addressed. Your chiropractor will use specific, focussed adjustments which are often indicated by examination and X-ray.
Remember, the sooner you have your problem assessed and treated by an expert like a chiropractor, the sooner you are likely to recover from the pain and dysfunction and the less likely it is that your neck pain will become a chronic problem.
What About Massage Therapy For Neck Pain?
Sports massage and relaxation massage therapy are both useful adjuncts to neck pain, especially if some of the soft tissues need to restore and heal more fully. Quite often, our chiropractors will see a patient for several weeks, focusing on proper movement of the cervical spine (neck). There will often be some tension, stress and muscle shortening in the surrounding shoulders, and this responds well to sports massage therapy. We often find that patients respond well to a combined approach, appropriate to their specific circumstances.
Are There Any Neck Pain Exercises?
Yes there are many neck pain exercises and stretches which help greatly with rehabilitation. In fact, a portion of the treatment with Relief Chiropractic always consists of some neck pain exercises to help with healing the area by promoting normal movement. This also helps patients regain some of the control of their own health, which is always a good thing.
However, you should never do neck pain exercises before you are ready and without diagnosis. Some of them can do more harm then good if a patient tries them in a dysfunctional state of health. For this reason, always refrain from exercises until your chiropractor or soft tissue therapist has suggested that they would be of the maximum benefit.
What’s The Bottom Line?
Neck pain is a common problem seen by our chiropractors and massage therapists, and can be due to all sorts of lifestyle factors and injuries. The earlier you are seen by someone, the quicker your recovery is likely to be. Neck pain is a frustrating condition but with proper management and treatment as well as some self directed exercises, most neck pain resolves within 2 months. More importantly however is improving the function of the neck, regardless of pain.
Still unsure about a visit to a Cambridge Chiropractor?
If you live near Cambridge and have pain or other symptoms, or if you want to improve the function of your body, chiropractic is a safe and very effective solution. If you are unsure whether chiropractic care is right for you, then you should consider booking either a consultation or a FREE telephone call with our principal chiropractor. During this time, the process of chiropractic care will be explained fully. There is no obligation to continue with the visits.